Sunday 4 June 2017

Patience is on track !

We had a great rehearsal today, one of those long Sunday events, complete with cake, scones and tea ! Sweet stuff always takes the edge off a gruelling three hours singing. I took my little cavalier Gretel to the rehearsal today as it is a long and boring day for her to stay at home whilst I am working. She just LOVES it. Three hours of rushing around a huge hall where there is the distinct possibility of cake crumbs, low hanging biscuits in the hands of floor seated cast members, and the obvious attraction of all the folk she loves best in the world in one place, she was a totally blissed out little person ! She was completely in her element, and mostly very good and well behaved. When we finally arrived back at home she flopped on the sofa as if she had climbed K 2 without oxygen. I think if there were such a thing as a doggy pedometer it would have registered around 10 miles. She never stopped for the whole time except to filtch the odd delicacy at break time.



 This singing lark really interferes with tea time.......

We managed to get two thirds of the way through Finale Act 1 which means we are less than 6 or 7 minutes away from the end of the first half of the show. Patience has a rather short second half which is largely ensembles and solos - the usual formula of a Gilbert and Sullivan opera, so in essence the bulk of the work is done. It needs much polishing, and our complicated setting requires much watching and developing but it is all coming together like a well oiled musical machine.

I have had the joy of a stage manager for the last two rehearsals. M, our last year's Strephon is back for the summer from her Chemical Engineering degree at Edinburgh University and is keen and happy to be that most valued of helping hands for a producer. She notes down moves, prop extras, reminders for tricky moments and most cherished of all, she will happily stand in front and direct moves for the cast whilst I play the piano. What a relief, and such a privilege to have that sort of help.

So what with the set being ensconced in the newly dry shed, the addition of a stage manager, and the general cheeriness and enthusiasm of a classy cast, at this moment in time dare I say, all is well ?




Keep calm and eat chocolate cake

I made Chicken Thai Green Curry in my Instant Pot last Friday and had it poured over my usual spread of Cauliflower and Broccoli florets for my supper. I was adventurous enough to add a little more lemon juice and extra coconut cream and boy was it good. How did I ever live without one of these digital miracles ? I know I am probably seeing it through rose tinted spectacles, mostly because I have never cooked much more than an egg on toast, but it has certainly been worth the financial investment, and I think my diabetes likes it too. I am eating totally fresh and simple ingredients cooked quickly so all the flavours remain in the food. I have been able to keep my sugar numbers between 6 and 7 for the last month. This is, you must understand, a major coup for a Type 2 who takes no medication, controlling the disease by diet alone. 

I would like to think that the last week of stress is melting a little and slowly seeping away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A domestic few days away preparing for next week..........Yorkshire Song School !

I just had a lovely, if fleeting visit to Sussex to see the family, and most enjoyable it was too. I flew on the early morning plane to Gatw...